5 Medical Writing Tips for Novice Writers
- Always start with an outline and ensure that all the relevant questions are answered:
- What is the research topic and what is its importance?
- What is the hypothesis formulation strategy?
- What were the expected results and the major findings of the study?
- Create an IMRAD strategy:
- Introduction: Importance of study, what is already known, hypothesis, objectives
- Materials and Methods: Materials, subjects, design, procedure used for study
- Results: Findings of the study and related to study
- Discussion and Conclusions: Discussion of supporting studies , previous literature, limitations, future prospects of study
- Prepare the draft:
- Start with materials and methods
- Be specific, clear, concise, and objective in writing results (prepare figure/ table wherever required)
- Start with the introduction to attract the reader by highlighting the novelty of the study, followed by discussion
- Review the draft as a reviewer:
- Review the paper thoroughly and revise it
- Submit the final draft according to journal guidelines
- Follow the order: title page; abstract and key words; main text; acknowledgements (optional); conflicts of interest (optional); references; author information; figure legends; tables
- Be strict for word limits (total word count/ abstract’s word count)
- Take care of number of figures and tables to include
- Make sure that the reference style in text as well as bibliography is followed
THS shares a few tips on medical writing for novice writers. At THS, we provide medical writing assistance to healthcare professionals. Medical writing is a creative way of communication for those who love to write and want to keep abreast with the recent developments in science. While writing a manuscript, try to follow these tips and prepare the manuscript as per the instructions given by a journal. However, its acceptance and publication is not at your will. You may, sometimes, face rejection at initial stages. Revise, edit and modify your paper. Keep practicing. Brush up your writing skills and get ready to type your next manuscript.
Latest posts by kripi syal (see all)
- Clinical Evaluation Report for Medical Devices-Role of Medical Writer - February 14, 2018
- 5 Medical Writing Tips for Novice Writers - December 22, 2016